End of the Month View – October 2012

I think damp and wet with slowly falling temperatures describes October this year. No frost as yet but fallen leaves are everywhere and gusts of wind are blowing them into various corners where they are piling up into crisp or soggy piles depending on the weather. Autumn has arrived trampling upon the pale feeble ghost of our poor excuse for a summer.

There is still a few jobs to do in the garden before winter arrives. The borders are a tangled mess as I have never got round to cutting back the dead foliage which is steadily looking more and more brown and gloopy. Must make an effort to do this as dead foliage is covering some plants which are making a brave attempt to flower. In the bottom left corner of this picture you can see…..

Part of central border

Part of central border

…..a dash of pinky red which glows brightly.

Schizostylis coccinea 'Major'

Schizostylis coccinea ‘Major’

While none of my Echinaceas came up this year the Rudbekias came back stronger than ever. I think I will give up on Echinaceas – blaming my soil of course and not my own failings. I want a reliable daisy flower at this time of year.

Rudbekia

Rudbekia

There are still a few Roses.

Rosa 'Ghislaine de Feligonde'

Rosa ‘Ghislaine de Feligonde’

Quite why these self sown Nasturtiums have left it till late October to flower is a mystery.

Self sown Nasturtiums

Self sown Nasturtiums

One of the flowers I have all over the garden is this Cyclamen, still flowering but being gradually swamped by the foliage which appears after the flowers.

Cyclamen hederifolium

Cyclamen hederifolium

I have hung out the bird feeders and put out the ground feeder. Most feeders are armoured against squirrels otherwise the food would disappear in a second.

Looking towards the bottom of the garden

Looking towards the bottom of the garden

I must collect up the bark dropped by the Eucalyptus (a yearly event). I will add it to a pile in the corner of the garden that I keep as a shelter for wildelife.

Eucalyptus bark

Eucalyptus bark

All my tender plants have now been moved into the greenhouse which I have lined with plastic bubble fabric. A fan heater will keep the temperature above freezing.

Greenhouse

Greenhouse

Finally I will finish with the most showy of my October flowers. Not a shy retiring flower and just the kind of colour I need at this time of year.

Nerine bowdenii

Nerine bowdenii

Please visit the Patient Gardener  to see more end of the month views.

8 comments

Gravatar 1 Lea { 11.01.12 at 7:10 pm }

You still have some very pretty colors in the garden.
We gave up on trying to keep the squirrels out of the bird feeders. We just hang extra feeders so there is plenty for both birds and swuirrels. You would be shocked to know what our bird food bill is each winter!
Have a wonderful day!
Lea
Lea’s Menagerie

Gravatar 2 Cathy { 11.01.12 at 9:35 pm }

That nerine is fantastic – I do try periodically with it but have never had any success. We too spend a lot on bird feed and made the squirrel his own feeder, not that he restricts himself to it of course!

Gravatar 3 Northern Shade { 11.02.12 at 12:46 am }

The little Cyclamen is very pretty. I have been thinking of experimenting with some here, although they are for a warmer zone. Those leaves and flowers are appealing. Your Nerine is working hard to give you some summery colour, very eye-catching.

Gravatar 4 Casa Mariposa { 11.02.12 at 2:29 am }

You still have quite a bit blooming! I’d try the echinaceas again in a pot. That will give them the drainage they need. They’ll overwinter just fine. I love the lilies in your last photo. In the US we call them Naked Lady lilies because they don’t have any foliage. Gorgeous rose! Love the color. :)

Gravatar 5 Anna { 11.02.12 at 5:29 pm }

October here was at least dryer than many other months this year but surprisingly cool. We’ve already had one or two slight frosts which together with all the wet stuff has made everything ‘gloopy’ – great word EG :) The occupants of your greenhouse look most snug and happy. What a glorious burst of colour from the nerines – they must bring a smile to your face.

Gravatar 6 wellywoman { 11.02.12 at 6:25 pm }

I’ve struggled with echinaceas. I think they prefer well drained soil. The only one that thrives for me is in a raised bed. I do love Nerines and every year when they flower I think I’ll get some of those next year and never do. They are such a beautiful splash of colour at this time of year.

Gravatar 7 Helen { 11.02.12 at 7:43 pm }

Thank you for the tour, I have soggy leaves and lots of cutting back to do too. I have never managed to grow Nerine but do want to, I just have to decide where to put them.

Thank you for joining in again this month

Gravatar 8 The Sage Butterfly { 11.02.12 at 10:03 pm }

You have many beauties left in the garden. We have not had our first frost yet, either, but I know it is coming soon.