Hail to those little balls of ice

Suddenly temperatures have gone well above freezing and the snow has melted over the weekend. I was admiring the bright sunshine at 3.30pm and optimistically thinking that the gardening season is almost upon us.

By 3.45pm the sun went in and I heard rattling sounds coming from the conservatory roof.  Hail was bouncing off it. Perhaps I will put off the gardening and drink hot chocolate instead.

Hailstones

Hailstones

Hailstones

Hailstones

6 comments

Gravatar 1 Anna { 01.27.13 at 6:47 pm }

Ping! Those icy pellets can certainly hurt when they land on you. Hot chocolate and thinking gardening is definitely more sensible in such circumstances than gardening is :)

Gravatar 2 Helen/patientgardener { 01.27.13 at 7:09 pm }

My son told me they had a hail storm in Plymouth and someone made a ‘hail’man out of them. As they were so cold it was still there the next morning

Gravatar 3 VP { 01.27.13 at 9:41 pm }

It’s hailing now with big thundery rumbles all around :0

It sounds like the end of the world here!

Gravatar 4 Judith { 01.27.13 at 10:36 pm }

Oh, we never had any of those, thank goodness. You can keep those. We had quite a sunny day, most of the snow has gone and the rivers are rising. No gardening here for quite a while as the ground is so wet. Never mind keep flicking through the seed catalogues.

Gravatar 5 Janet/Plantaliscious { 01.27.13 at 11:50 pm }

I like hail – provided I am indoors. So much more feisty than snow, and doesn’t stick around creating messy chaos. I was lulled into a brief sense of “ooh I can garden” by sun this morning, only to discover that the ground is verging on being wet enough to be a pond rather than just a bog garden, and the wind was bitingly cold. I didn’t last long. No hot chocolate, but we did indulge in pancakes.

Gravatar 6 Karen - An Artist's Garden { 01.31.13 at 8:10 pm }

Yikes, horrid :( We have simply had rain, and more rain
K